Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Life After People

Have you ever watched the TV show "Life after People" on the History Channel? It supposes that people disappear from the face of the earth and chronicles what happens to the earth over the next 5, 10, 50, 100, 1000 and 10,000 years. It is sobering. When we are gone, every monument, building and structure disappears...gone in a 1,000 years. Not only are we made of dust, but all our creations are dust.

Just think about what legacies you are trying to leave, the monuments that you are erecting so you can be remembered. The cars we drive, the houses we live in, land we own and our bank accounts are really meaningless as time marches on. I do my family's history and it is interesting how 5 or 6 generations back, nothing is known abou them... In just a hundred years, they only are a name on a list of ancestors but their deeds, what was important to them is unknown. What they built is gone.

What should we invest in? What do you want to be known for after you are gone? What is important to you?

3 comments:

  1. I hope to invest in the next generation. The mark I leave I hope is first in the people I love most and then to people I meet on life's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you invest well Susan. As with any investment, it takes time to see the fruits of your labor. We are only called to prepare the soil and plant the seeds...God will give the increase...

    ReplyDelete