Monday, April 27, 2009

Feeding the Ants

Each Spring, we are visited by a colony of sugar ants. I don't know where they go during the rest of the year (I don't know if the little buggers are migratory; Winters in Mexico, Summers in Canada) but five days ago they came back. I was picking up a peice of what looked like cinnamon toast but it was a slice of bread covered in ants. After screaming like a little girl, I decided to declare war.

I bought sugar ant poison (Terro) and set out the traps. They swarmed to it like, well, ants to a picnic. Thousands of them think I dropped a delicious sugar-filled container but little do they realize (insert evil laugh here) they are killing themselves. I think they have even invited other tour buses of migratory ants for a rest stop (insert another evil laugh).

Then, God, in his infinite Wisdom, told me to take notice. That is the way of sin. Man, we think we are feasting when all along, slowly but surely, we are killing ourselves. Whether our poison is overeating, fear, sex, alcohol, drugs, coveting, jealosy, lust, bitterness, spiritual pride, or greed, the more we eat, the more we kill ourselves. We do it until we gorge ourselves then the consequences hit. Then things fall apart. We have to declare that 'Jesus is Lord' then fall upon the mercy of God for forgiveness and grace....again. And then brothers and sisters in Christ help put the pieces back together.

I hate that cycle. It has claimed the lives of too many people that I know and has cause untold hurt and heartache. But so goes life, a battle between the spiritual and flesh that never ends. At least with God, we have power and strength on our side.

I know I am projecting on a little herd of ants but I sure hope the poison takes effects soon.

What's your poison?

2 comments:

  1. This endless sin-repent loop is not what God has envisioned for His Children. I believe that He has the desire and the power to lift us out of the muck of sin and put us on the Rock of Righteousness. We can overcome sin, through the power of the Holy Spirit, now in this life!

    "We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not" (1 John 5:18).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agre with you, Greg. God has envisioned the power to overcome and the power to change. But without the power of the Holy Spirit, we are left with sin, repent, sin, repent (repeat). The Holy Spirit is like the Terro, it does the job I cannot do for myself. Thanks for pointing that out.

    "By His stripes we are healed."

    ReplyDelete